Thursday, September 25, 2008

My job started last week, and it has been a complete eye opener. This school that i'm being a learning support assistant at probably has the worst catchment area a school could have. The backgrounds some of these kids come from is not good. And their behaviour is enough to drive you crazy! I do like my job, but seriously this last week has been quite something getting used to the total culture shock - remembering i went through private education and university. The staff are lovely, and whilst working with these kids can rewarding, it can also be sad and draining and tough. Last week, one of the girls who I was in a class with the other day came and spoke to me when she saw me on the bus; she didnt look directly at me the whole conversation (obviously i had something on my face!), but she kept talking, and it dawned on me that perhaps she just wanted someone to listen to what she had to say, to be able to talk to someone, and someone to talk back. That should never be too much to ask.

Until last week I was thinking about social work as a possible career path. ButI have recently just realised that I can't change the lives of these young people much as I would like to and you have to be realistic about these things. I sit on the bus home thinking about this, and it just makes me so sad to realise what kind of place we live in, and the difference Jesus could really make.

No comments: